The 16th Annual International Union and Painters & Allied Trades District Council No. 7 Scholarship Essay Contest was judged by the Executive Director of the Wisconsin Building Trades Council, Emily Pritzkow. Many thanks go out to Emily Pritzkow for volunteering her time and efforts. The awards were presented at the Wednesday, August 2, 2023 District Council 7 Delegate Meeting.
Applications for the contest were accepted through June 30, 2023. All submitted essays were from a dependent child or grandchild of an IUPAT DC 7 member in “good standing”. All applicants showed proof of acceptance at a certified college, university, vocational, trade school, or other accredited institute of higher learning. This year’s recipients received cash prizes ranging from $500 to $2,000.
The subject of the essay was "Do you think Unions are still relevant today; if so, would you join a union if given the opportunity?"
1. Adam Pickhardt (UW Madison) awarded $2,000 - Read his essay
2. Madelynn Fuller (UW PLatteville) awarded $1,000 - Read her essay
3. Abigail I. Gergen (Carroll University) awarded $500 - Read her essay
4. James Franckowiak (UW La Crosse) awarded $500 - Read his essay
5. Madelyn D. Nogalski (UW Whitewater) awarded $500 - Read her essay
6. Matthew L. Wanty (UW Madison) awarded $500 - Read his essay